Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Busting Bluefin Tuna Out Of The Lebanese Coast, November 2013!

Out of the Lebanese coast started another adventure but this time on a short notice and for a very limited period due to my timing schedule.
I usually try to take advantage and visit my family in Lebanon whenever I travel overseas on a fishing trip. For some reason we always tend to go back to our roots. I treasure looking at the past, which in my case holds tons of warm and happy memories. I spent my childhood in a place where the war was present in every direction but still we all found ways to enjoy our life. Those memories always hold me and fill my heart with tears of joy. 
I keep a very close relationship with my friend Wahib whom I consider the best fisherman in Lebanon. His spirit as a fisherman and knowledge of the area both are priceless.
I was informed by Wahib while I was in Dubai that the Bluefin bite is very hot in Lebanon. The moment I arrived I called him and his words were very encouraging and made me feel I have to make it happen regardless of my limited time. 
Wahib called me at night to let me know that they ended up the afternoon session with 4 fish landed. Sadly Lebanon don’t comply to any Bluefin tuna regulation, but anglers that target them are numbered, so I don’t believe it has a big effect on the stock as I keep on monitoring and it seems it is only getting better and better for the past 2 years.
I finally was able to come out for fishing on my last day and took the drive from Beirut to the North close to Tripoli. As Wahib, unfortunately, could not make it, I called his son - Nicholas. The kid was so excited and full of energy. He informed me that he is seeing the tuna busting from the Balcony of the beach house. I soon found myself pushing the 90 miles an hour from the excitement; I wanted to get out so badly! I arrived to the Marina at the same time as my friend Nick at 1:00PM. Nick lives in Boston and he fished with me on a couple of occasions. The last time we fished together was in PEI Canada 2 month ago. We greeted each other and hit the throttle on the new Edge Water boat. The fish were holding 3 miles from the Marina, I was greeted by busting fish in every direction - amazing scenery that made me put the rod and jumps to the camera. After Nick and I made a cast then within 20 feet from the boat Nick got tied up. It was Nick’s first time using the Race Point 300 and right next to us another boat get tied. On their board was another friend of mine Barhouma Fino. They hooked the fish on the same time, Nick Landed the fish in less than 6 minutes solo without a fighting belt. The more I see him fighting the more I believe he has the same stamina and power as I have. Beautiful performance by the young skipper Nicholas and Nick the angler, the fish hit the deck with a cheer!
We kept on chasing them but for some reason the bites kept of fading away as the sun start to push its way down. We had many shots but the fish were keyed in on the Anchovies and they were plenty.
3 hours goes by and Barhouma still fighting his fish. The night is getting closer and our friend Dia asked me to jump on board to help. Before I step up I asked what rod is he using, he shouted “Tenryu” I said I will help you but don’t hold me responsible if I broke the rod - the silence took over...
I jumped on board tied that drag and had it on the boat in less than 8 minutes. The fish was holding at 250 feet and the depth was close to 1700 feet. I saw the colors from the deep abyss in about 70 feet, the water was crystal clear.
Had it to boat side took, some pictures and jumped back on board with my guys and called the day off.
What a great day it was! Thank you to Nicholas for your guidance and skills. Your father had invested in you and from what I saw in you, I assure you’ll be a great angler. 
Tackle used:
Rod: Race Point 300, 250, 200, 150 , El Maestro 77H  Prototype
Reel: Shimano Stella SW 18000 & Shimano Saragosa SW 1000
Line: Power Pro Hollow, Jerry Brown Hollow, Sunline Monster Battle
Lures: Halco, CB One, Siren

  Tight lines
   Sami

































No comments:

Post a Comment